Biosensors and Microsystems
Assoc. Prof. UNT
Indep. Resear. CONICET
Assis. Prof. UNT
This research line studies and developes:
- New transduction methods for sensors and biosensors.
- NanoBiosensors developement for specific biomedical and environmental applications.
- Microfluidic systems.
Sensors and Biosensors for biomedical applications
In our group we developed a new transduction method that can be used in different electrochemical biosensors. This technique was called Chrono-impendance Technique, and was developed by C. C. Mayorga Martínez in 2009 in her PhD Thesis. We applied this method for real time glucose determination in first and second generation biosensors. The system presents a high selectivity, because it uses an optimized excitation signal, which is determined specifically for each type of biosensor.
Nowadays, with the incorporation of nanotechnology, there is a new trend in biosensors, which is the development of sensors with very high sensitivity for the detection of lower concentrations of analytes. In this sense, we are developing nanobiosensors for the quantification of ultra low levels of glucose, alkaline phosphatase (for the application in the evaluation of bone regeneration), neurotransmisors and immunologic agents. Also we are working in the development of a biosensor for an agroindustrial application, such as the detection of a citrus plant disease. By using these nanostructures, as can be seen in the figure, the detection of very low concentration of specific analytes is possible due to their high surface/volume ratio. Furthermore, the use of materials such as ZnO, led us to exploit their interesting properties for biological applications, such as biocompatibility and high isoelectric point.
We have research collaborations with other groups such as the Nanotechnology Group of the FACET (Nano Project) and the Nanotechnology and Materials Dielectric Properties Laboratory, with Dr. David Comedi and Dr. Monica Tirado, the Division of Superconductivity and Magnetism at the University of Leipzig, in Germany with Prof. Pablo Esquinazi, a Cooperation Project with the Walter Schottky Institute at the University of Munich, with Dr. Anna Cattani-Scholz and the Group of HLB of ITANOA-CONICET-EEAOC (Agroindustrial Experimental Station “Obispo Colombres”) with Dr. Paula Filippone and Dr. Carlos Grellet Bournonville.
Within the microfluidic area, there is a fellow student, who worked during one year at the Micro and Nanotechnology (DTU Nanotech), Technical University Denmark. This group is world leader in microfluidics. A system was developed (together with a micro-valve redesign) to simultaneously control two rotating microvalves and a peristaltic micropump, in order to mix and direct the mixture to the cellular culture chambers, embedded in an acrylic three dimensional microfluidic chip. Currently, we are working in paper microfluidics for the detection of Chagas Disease with microfluidic paper chips, and in a new area of hybrid microfluidics with hydrogels.
- New Technology development for biological, biosensors and biomaterials applications. PIP # 984, CONICET.
- New Technology development for biological, biosensors and biomaterials applications. Proyecto CIUNT 26/E522.
- International Cooperation Project MINCyT-CONICET-DFG with Technische Universität München, Germany. Development of a nanostructured biosensor for early detection of Huanglongbing disease in citrus.
- PDTS-CIN-CONICET. Optical-planar Technology for the fabrication of microfluidic chips for biomedical applications.
Recent scientific publications
- Integration of Biorecognition Elements on PEDOT Platforms through Supramolecular Interactions
- L. D. SAPPIA; PICCININI, E.; MARMISOLLÉ, W.; SANTILLI, N.; MAZA, E.; MOYA, S.; BATTAGLINI, F.; MADRID, R.E.; AZZARONI, O.
- ADVANCED MATERIALS; Lugar: Weinheim; Año: 2017
- Zonal Selectivity by Sensitivity Modulation in Linear Tetrapolar Impedance Sensors
- MORETTI, FABIÁN N.; CABRERA, JORGE L.; MADRID, ROSSANA E.
- SENSORS AND ACTUATORS B-CHEMICAL; Año: 2017
- Glucose biosensor based on functionalized ZnO nanowire/graphite films dispersed on a Pt electrode
- GALLAY, PABLO; TOSI, EXEQUIEL; MADRID, ROSSANA ELENA; TIRADO, MÓNICA; COMEDI, DAVID
- Nanotechnology; Año: 2016 vol. 27
- Nanostructured ZnO films: A study of molecular influence on transport properties by impedance spectroscopy
- SAPPIA, L.; RICARDO M TRUJILLO; LORITE, ISRAEL; MADRID, ROSSANA ELENA; TIRADO, MÓNICA; TIRADO, MÓNICA; COMEDI, DAVID; ESQUINAZI, PABLO
- MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING B-SOLID STATE MATERIALS FOR ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY; Lugar: Amsterdam; Año: 2015 vol. 200 p. 124 - 131
- Polymer chip-integrable piezoelectric micropump with low backpressure dependence
- CONDE, A.J.; BIANCHETTI, A; VEIRAS, F.E.; FEDERICO, A.; CABALEIRO, J.M.; DUFVA, M.; MADRID, ROSSANA E.; FRAIGI, L.
- RSC advances; Año: 2015
- Lectin-modified surfaces for the real-time determination of Bone Alkaline Phosphatase by Surface Plasmon Resonance (SPR) Spectroscopy
- L. D. SAPPIA; PICCININI, E.; SANTILLI, N.; MARMISOLÉ, W.; MADRID, R.E.; AZZARONI, O.
- 1st Argentine-German Workshop on Nanotechnology and Nanobiosensors
- Año: 2017;
- Multi-nanostructured and auto-regenerative sensor for H2O2 quantification using chronoimpedance as transduction method
- MARTÍN LUCAS ZAMORA; RICARDO MATIAS TRUJILLO; FERNANDO ASHUR; ROSSANA ELENA MADRID
- II International Seminar of Industrial Innovation in Electrochemistry
- Lugar: Curitiba; Año: 2016;
- EVALUACIÓN DE PAPELES COMO SUSTRATOS DE CHIPS MICROFLUÍDICOS.
- PAULA VERÓNICA ARGAÑARAZ; PAULA INNES NANNI; CARMELO FELICE; ROSSANA ELENA MADRID
- III Reunión de Microfluídica Argentina
- Año: 2016;
- DISEÑO Y FABRICACIÓN DE UNA CELDA ELECTROQUÍMICA MINIATURIZADA EN PAPEL.
- FIGUEROA ROBLES MATEO ANTONIO; NANNI PAULA INÉS; CARMELO FELICE ; ROSSANA ELENA MADRID
- III Reunión de Microfluídica Argentina
- Año: 2016;
- STAPLE-BASED ELECTROCHEMICAL PLATFORM FOR QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS ON PAPER
- P. I. NANNI; A. GONZALEZ-LOPEZ; E. NUÑEZ-BAJO; L.BLANCO-COVIAN; C. BLANCO-LOPEZ; R. E. MADRID ; M. T FÉRNANDEZ-ABEDUL
- MicroTAS 2016 Conference (The 20th International Conference on Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences)
- Lugar: Dublin; Año: 2016;